Monday, November 28, 2011

Tiling...finally!

Made some progress this weekend. I finally started tiling the bath/shower surround after a lot of planning and measuring. Anticipating all the surface transitions takes some thought (for me anyway).

I selected a 12"x18" tile. I like the look of large tiles plus it's less grout to maintain. Placing large tiles is actually  more difficult than smaller tiles. Maintaining flatness (preventing lippage) is a challenge because it is very difficult to press the tiles into the thinset due to the amount of tile surface area. This makes the progress seem slow. Anyway, I am pleased with the look and am looking forward to completing this step. I anticipate late nights this week since I will be in "The Big Easy" all next week.

Just getting started tiling the bath/shower walls.
I decided to purchase a used tile saw rather than rent so I can take my time tiling. When I have rented them in the past I feel rushed because the clock is ticking so to speak. I found a decent one on CL. What I didn't realize is that this type of saw cannot accommodate cutting large tiles lengthwise. I had to make a larger bed attachment. I had plenty of scrap wood left over and it seems to work well so far thought I have to flip the tiles to get all the way through.
 
Tile cutting station with custom bed attachment
I anticipate allot more tiling and cutting this week. It will be interesting when I have to go around the plumbing openings. I suppose I'll figure that out as I go. I'll post more later this week. Thanks for stopping by.

No comments:

Post a Comment