Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Making progress again

Note: this was originally posted on my old blogsite in early November.

Alot going on since Aug: vacationing in Thailand, busy at work, golfing in San Diego....and a little bit of work on the kitchen in there too.In between vacations I have been able to make some progress...finished the ceiling, painted and installed the lighting. Walls are primed and realy for paint.

Pat and I are still trying to find a color theme that we both can agree on. We have on idea, but haven't found the right shade.

Also, finally making progress on the floor again. Installed the heating system a couple weeks ago which went down brilliantly.

The mats come in rolls. Simply select the correct size for your room layout.


















Here is what the floor looks like when the mats are installed and before the self-leveling cement is poured. I only installed the heating mats in the main traffic area, not under the cabinents (for obvious reasons).













Another shot after the self-leveling cement is poured. I had to work fast since I was using rapid-set. I used 1/4" foam strip/tape to dam the doorways and openings to contain the SLC.


















We found a beautiful natural slate at "Big Orange" of all places...long story.













Anyway picked it up last Friday and starting putting down the tile this past weekend. Including preparing the subfloor and tiling, I've lost count of the batches of thinset I have mixed so far... my power drill was literally smoking the other day.Once the tilework is complete, the IKEA cabinets go in....hooray! Starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel....Dad offered to come up again and help with the trimwork, which I'm sure will be a bigger job than it seems.More soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment